Friday, July 29, 2011

Furniture Revamp

When my husband and I purchased our first home we received a bedroom set from my in-laws.  It is a very nice queen bedroom set with a dresser and armour.  We parted with the bed in '06 by placing it in our spare bedroom after we received a Cal King mattress from my parents.  Just this year we finally decided to make our bedroom look like a 'grown up' room by purchasing matching furniture.  We bought a 4-post bed and dresser from Thomasville.. I am in love with it.  It is all black with a slight distressing to it.  (This is the bed except ours has 4 tall posts)



Instead of purchasing new end tables and armour I decided to just go ahead and paint what we already had.
I started off by picking out the color of paint that I liked.. I decided to paint the end tables an off white to offset the bed,  and the armour black to match the rest of the furniture.


I started off by applying liquid sander to all the pieces of furniture.  With the end tables I primed before painting (only b/c the original finish seemed to be a little glossier than that of the armour), but with the armour I bought paint with primer already in it.. (it made the process go faster since I was able to 'skip' a step w/o actually skipping it).. I waited a few hours in-between coats just to make sure that all the paint was nice and dry before I reapplied a second coat.
sorry for the horrible picture... I snapped it quickly and didn't edit before posting... but you can get the gist of what it looks like.

This is the old dresser that was in our room... It now sits in the hallway and is being used for some extra storage to hold sheets, towels, etc.  

Overall I am very happy with how the pieces turned out.  We now have 4 new pieces of furniture...Not bad for about $40.00.




No comments:

Post a Comment